MPX® answers the demand for a smoother veneer core panel
Introducing MPX, the newest core innovation from Columbia Forest Products. This
veneer core plywood panel features a Meinan®-peeled poplar x-band under the
decorative face and back, which introduces a new standard in all-wood veneer core
panel surface quality. It reduces telegraphing, making MPX better for finishing
and applications where a smooth, even face is needed. Of course, standard construction
includes soy-based PureBond® formaldehyde-free technology.
MPX uses a hardwood crossband of Tulip Wood also known as Yellow Poplar (Liriodendron
tulipifera) under the face and back, and is made with PureBond® formaldehyde-free
technology. The result? MPX panels have a better surface quality than panels constructed
with rougher softwood or hardwood crossbands. In addition, poplar doesn't have the
extreme difference in density between springwood and summerwood growth rings in
contrast to softwoods. This makes MPX panels the smoothest domestically produced,
all-wood core in North America.
MPX is perfect for standard fabrications, but is highly recommended for pre-finished
panels with high visibility requirements. Fabricators will experience less "fall-down"
or scrap as well as fewer reworks and callbacks while producing finer finished goods
with higher customer satisfaction and referrals.
Features & Benefits
- Uses a domestic hardwood poplar crossband beneath the face and back to reduce the
potential for core 'telegraphing."
- Smoothest crossband in the hardwood plywood industry for veneer core construction.
- Improved surface is perfect for even finishing results.
- Reduces fabricator shop waste, callbacks and reworks.
- Cost competitive all-wood core construction.
- MPX is available in 4x8 sheets in 3/4", 19.5mm and 1" constructions. Ask your rep
for availability of other thicknesses.
- MPX crossbands are peeled exclusively on Meinan® lines, the latest in lathe
- MPX panels are made with PureBond formaldehyde-free technology, to meet CARB standards
and contribute to LEED® green building credits.
- FSC® certified upon request.
- Produced in North America exclusively by Columbia Forest Products.
Compare for Yourself
The Meinan-peeled poplar crossband offers a much smoother face as compared to white
fir, douglas fir, red pine, white pine and other coarse woods that might be found
in a veneer core plywood panel.*
(Click images to zoom)
Growth Rings. The lighter rings, formed earlier
in the growing season, are known as earlywood or springwood. The darker portion,
formed later in the season, is then known as the latewood or summerwood. Some softwood
species, like fir, have a more distinct difference in the density of the these rings,
leading to a more uneven peeled surface.
Poplar Crossband Face
Poplar is a hardwood species that comes from deciduous trees, those that shed their
Fir Crossband Face
Fir is a softwood species from an evergreen or coniferous (cone-bearing) tree.
Meinan® Lathe - The World's Finest Peeling Technology
Ultimate Accuracy, Consistency and Resulting Smoothness
*Besides fir, MPX panels may include other wood species
under the Meinan peeled poplar crossbands.